Today I will show you my favorite fonts, give a short description and tell what I plan on showing you how to learn. You can treat this post and the following one as a quick introduction to calligraphy before we start the practice.
First let me show you the visuals. It was written on a calligraphy archie's paper for copperplate and so the heights are suited for the copperplate. Monolith letters are written with a 0,2 marker while the "flowing" ones with small brushpen. I will talk about pen kinds and paper later on.
All of the fonts are either my ideas or my modifications of others' free to use or taught in books ones. Feel free to treat them as your own, especially that you will make some modifications for sure.
All of the fonts are either my ideas or my modifications of others' free to use or taught in books ones. Feel free to treat them as your own, especially that you will make some modifications for sure.
Main modern style (1)
This is the font I'm using for everyday purposes though doing so require quite a lot of practice of quick writing with it. But it's quite a nice font for the sake of planners, letters, invitations or other things that enable you to write a little bit slower. It is based on the cursive writing and as such enables to write with very few time of "breaking the line" and taking pen up. I marked in red all of the time when I had to stop writing with just one line flow. You could reduce it by just making some of the letters more like a water drop shape, not an ellipse. I didn't count the dots and bars that can be made at the end of writing a word and of course breaking the line for a new words. As you see - it's much less than a copperplate below.
This font is quite flexible with a potential to become decorative by taking different pen, making it more italic, having n and m go below the letter line or flourishing "loopy" letters. This will be the font I'll show you first in our learning process. And a one that is probably the easiest for anyone who can write in any way with Latin letters.
This font is quite flexible with a potential to become decorative by taking different pen, making it more italic, having n and m go below the letter line or flourishing "loopy" letters. This will be the font I'll show you first in our learning process. And a one that is probably the easiest for anyone who can write in any way with Latin letters.
Copperplate/Engrosser's script (2)
Copperplate dates back in 18th century in England, Engrosser's script in 19th and 20th in America. Both style are similar to each other to the point of them being called just the "coperplate" by many people. The differences are mostly in curvy/straight lines that are bound with the way they were used at first. My main idea while learning was to learn the copperplate while some of the letters I found more interesting or easier in the latter or even the modern fonts and so here it is. It is never written as a monolith font, always at the angle of 54* and the proportion of 3:2:3 (something that will make more sense in the future). It requires either a traditional pen with holder and pointed, flexible nibs with quite thick ink or the brushpen. If you lets some modern font and get the basic intuition with thick-thin lines learning it is much easier.
Comic modern style (3)
The "printed" style of font that doesn't connect letters. Looks horrible with the thick-thin lines unless they are solid and change horizontally just like the print fonts it kind of is. It stops being a quick font though. Although I prefer cursive fonts, this one might also be a good start of learning calligraphy if you aim for just the practical font or styles like gothic, print calligraphy and such. I like using it to write down the "wishes Browns" part on the wishes. It gives nice contrast to heavily florished copperplate. It's also a good font when you write something for others, especially for kids that will read simple letters more easily. This will be probably the second font to learn from here.
Comic modern style 2 (4)
My answer for having something more comic-like and happy rather than elegant but with brushpen. It could be also used with the one-thickness pens, both thin and thick with little modifications. It relies on triangular yet rounded shapes. As I like it for some titles or quotes, wishes and other "short stuff" I can't imagine writing many pages with it alone.
At the bottom of the page you have my variations of numbers. I usually adjust the current set of them to the length of my text and the overall fit instead of sticking to just one version of them for fonts. Of course some are more suited for some fonts than others, e.g. the third "4" wouldn't fit in the copperplate text or the first one with the first comic font.
My answer for having something more comic-like and happy rather than elegant but with brushpen. It could be also used with the one-thickness pens, both thin and thick with little modifications. It relies on triangular yet rounded shapes. As I like it for some titles or quotes, wishes and other "short stuff" I can't imagine writing many pages with it alone.
At the bottom of the page you have my variations of numbers. I usually adjust the current set of them to the length of my text and the overall fit instead of sticking to just one version of them for fonts. Of course some are more suited for some fonts than others, e.g. the third "4" wouldn't fit in the copperplate text or the first one with the first comic font.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Be polite, don't SPAM, respect others. Have fun!